Nothing is better than a warm dinner on a cold day. Whether you want an easy dinner or something rich and creamy, this roasted garlic and tomato soup will surely do the trick.
As The Seasons Change
As summer comes to a close and the weather begins to cool down and get chilly, we tend to gravitate towards richer, and more comforting foods. After a long day at work, or even during a rainy Sunday at home, tomato soup is a simple dinner to make with great health benefits that are much needed in the colder weather. With garlic and tomatoes both having vitamin C, the tomatoes also have potassium, and vitamins K1 and B9, making this delicious combination not only flavorful but also beneficial to your health.
Simple And Delicious
Our two main ingredients are the tomatoes and the garlic, and roasting them is what will make this soup even more special by adding so much more flavor to it. This recipe is by no means a difficult one to execute, and although it takes a bit of time to prepare, the end result is more than worth the wait and preparation. A perfect combination with tomato soup is, of course, a classic grilled cheese sandwich. The grilled cheese along with the tomato soup will make a great comforting dinner that still is healthy and decadent while not going overboard. All you need for the grilled cheese sandwich is two slices of any bread of your choosing, your favorite cheese, and butter to spread on the outer side of each slice before putting it in a frying pan. On the stove, assemble the sandwich as you go: placing the first buttered slice butter-side down, put cheese on it, and place the second bread slice with the butter-side up and flip the sandwich after a couple of minutes when the outside is brown and the cheese has melted. There is no right or wrong when it comes to making a grilled cheese sandwich, it just depends on the bread and cheese you enjoy the most.
How Do I Make The Tomato Soup?
For the roasted garlic and tomatoes, you’ll need:
– 1 Garlic head, sliced in half (Keep the peel on, we will remove it after it roasts).
– 1 lbs Tomatoes (Ripe Roma tomatoes, sliced in half).
– 1-2 Tbsp olive oil.
– Salt and black pepper, to taste.
For the garlic and tomato Soup:
– 2 Cups canned tomatoes (Crushed).
– 1 Tbsp sugar.
– 3 Tbsp heavy cream.
– 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour.
– 1/2 Yellow onion (Diced).
– 5 Cups vegetable stock (Low sodium, or can be replaced with water).
– 2 Tbsp olive oil
– 1 Tbsp Italian seasoning
– Salt and black pepper, to taste.
How to make it?
1. Start by preheating your oven to 475 degrees F(245 degrees C).
2. Spread your cut Roma tomatoes on a sheet pan and place the garlic as well. Drizzle olive oil and coat all of the tomatoes and garlic. Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.
3. Roast the tomatoes and garlic in the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the tomatoes and garlic have charred edges and the garlic is soft to the touch (be careful when checking!).
4. While the tomatoes and garlic are roasting, chop the onion, and puree the canned tomatoes in a bowl with a hand blender.
5. Add 2 tbsp of olive oil to a heavy bottom deep pan, once it’s warm, add the onion and the canned tomatoes puree. Add the Italian seasoning. Sprinkle 2 tbsp flour into the pot and stir continuously until the flour is fully mixed in, for about 2 minutes. Don’t let the mixture get brown!
6. When the tomatoes and garlic are roasted, remove the burned skin from the garlic, mince it and chop the tomatoes. Add them to the pot along with the vegetable stock and sugar.
7. Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover it and let it simmer on a medium-low heat for 25 minutes or until it thickens considerably.
8. Add the heavy cream, and salt and pepper to taste.
9. (Optional) Blend the soup with a hand blender in the pot before serving for a smooth texture.
10. Serve and enjoy!