We all know how frustrating a pesky cold can be. While it’s not the biggest deal, it can make you feel awful and completely ruin your day. With the runny nose, watery eyes, and sore throat, it’s a serious pain overall. Even though the cold will pass on its own, it’s best to try and prevent it in the first place. The best way to do that? Other than maintaining an overall healthy lifestyle, you can give your immune system a little boost with some excellent superfoods. It’s a well-known fact that ginger root is an incredibly healthy food, as is turmeric. Well, when you combine the two, all the better! Let’s talk about this a little: why is ginger so good for you? Why is there such a hype about turmeric?
Ginger has been said to improve a sore throat and reduce inflammation. In fact, inflammation might not sound like something serious, but when push comes to shove, it can cause some major health problems. All the more reason to incorporate ginger into your diet.
On top of all that, ginger has a certain ingredient called Leucine which can actually help your muscles strengthen when working out. In addition, this nutrient can gradually lower the effects of soreness over time!
Aside from all that, ginger is known for helping things like vertigo and motion sickness and lowering blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
What about turmeric? There are many benefits to this spice. It can help rheumatoid arthritis, decrease the damaging effects of lupus on the kidneys, and might even reduce the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease.
What You’ll Need
- Two or three ginger roots
- Two Lemons
- 4 inches turmeric root (about 1/4 cup fresh or 2 tbsp powder)
- Honey (preferably raw)
- Chop up the ginger, turmeric, and lemons. You can do this either separately or together. Slice everything until it’s almost minced.
- Put all the chopped ingredients into a sealable container and close it.
- Using the honey, pour it into the ginger/lemon/turmeric mixture. Wait for the honey to coat all the pieces. Feel free to add as much honey as you like (the honey is optional if you don’t want sugar in it). Put the container in the fridge.
- If you skip the honey, add hot water instead and let it sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Pour the entire mixture into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve and enjoy!